Prez son, Congress rebel file papers amidst show of strength
Amravati: Cheered by their supporters,
President Pratibha Patil`s son Rajendra Shekhawat and
Maharashtra Minister Sunil Deshmukh, who has been denied a
Congress ticket, today filed their nominations here for the
October 13 Assembly polls.
Shekhawat, making a debut in electoral politics, is
contesting as Congress candidate after the party denied ticket
to sitting Amravati MLA Deshmukh, prompting him to fight as an
This cotton city in western Vidarbha witnessed the
spectacle of huge crowds turning up for the candidates and
taking different routes to reach tehsil office where the two
filed papers before Assistant Returning Officer G C Bawane.
Shekhawat`s procession started from city Congress
office near Rajkamal Square, while that of Deshmukh from his
campaign office at Iriwin Square.
Braving scorching heat, a large number of supporters
of the two nominees turned up in a show of strength in run-up
to the polling day.
Deshmukh, being backed by Republican Left Democratic
Front (RLDF), was accompanied by the workers of the newly
launched alliance, and City Mayor Ashok Dongre of Congress.
As many as 20 of the 21 Congress Corporators of the
Amravati Municipal Corporation have extended support to
Tickets to kin of senior leaders nothing uncommon: Cong
Congress today said some party
nominations to the kith and kin of senior leaders for the
October 13 Maharashtra assembly polls was nothing uncommon.
"It is everywhere. Right from US to Bangladesh, there are
many such instances," party spokesperson Shakeel Ahmad said.
He was responding to a question whether it was a good
trend to give tickets to kith and kin of senior party leaders.
Ahmad also said "just one to two per cent of the entire
list has such nominations".
He, however, refused to comment on the party fielding
President Pratibha Patil`s son Rajendra Shekhawat from
Amravati, ignoring sitting MLA and former minister Sunil
"...Congress takes care that the interests of genuine
party workers are not ignored," he said, adding "If any such a
situation emerges anywhere where somebody failed to get a
ticket due to some reason, the party compensates such workers
suitably by giving him or her other responsibilities for the
Pointing out at similar cases in other parties, he
referred to Jaswant Singh, now expelled from BJP, slain BJP
leader Pramod Mahajan, SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav and RJD
leader Lalu Prasad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'