Prithviraj Chavan a very honourable man: Cong on flat row
New Delhi: Congress on Monday hailed
newly-appointed Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan
as a "very honourable man" seeking to dismiss the opposition`s
attack on him over possession of a flat in Mumbai.
"I am not aware of any such report but all of you have
dealt with Chavan in his various capacities in government and
the party and to say the least about him is that Prithviraj
Chavan is a very honourable man," party spokesperson Jayanthi
Natrajan told reporters here.
He was responding to questions on the allegations that
Chavan got a flat in Venus Society at Wadala through the Chief
Minister`s five per cent housing quota which was meant for the
BJP has demanded action against the Maharashtra Chief
Minister for allegedly hiding information about his ownership
of the flat in nomination papers of Rajya Sabha.
Sources close to Maharashtra Chief Minister have said
that he may surrender the flat in Wadala which he was given
through the MP quota.
They have said that the flat in Wadala was alloted in the
name of Chavan`s mother Premlabai Chavan in 2003 since she had
to be in the city for her cancer treatment.
But before the allotment process was completed, she
passed away. Since Chavan has always lived in Delhi, he never
felt the need to have a house in Mumbai. However, the Wadala
flat was then given in the name of Chavan himself through the
MP quota, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket