Prithviraj Chavan for coastal ring road in Mumbai
Mumbai: The Coastal Regulation Zone rules do not permit coastal roads, but Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan is hopeful that Centre will give an
in-principle nod for the proposal of coastal ring road in Mumbai.
Chavan, who got his top bureaucrats to make a presentation to the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on infrastructure development in Mumbai Metropolitan Region (MMR) and the state yesterday, said constructing coastal road by reclaiming land from the sea was not a new concept.
"It has been done earlier with the Marine Drive promenade (south Mumbai) forty years ago and no ecological problems have been faced," the Chief Minister said here last night.
"However, as per the latest CRZ rules, coastal roads are not allowed. Only road on stilt can be constructed. We won`t go for stilt road because there are security issues."
The coastal road proposal is being discussed for the last several years in the state.
"We are keen that the Planning Commission meeting on October 15 and 16 discusses our proposal and grant in-principle nod. After that we can approach the environment ministry for other clearances," Chavan said.
Mumbai Municipal Commissioner Subodh Kumar is heading a committee to study the feasibility of coastal ring road or highway in Mumbai. "The report is expected to be ready in about two months," Chief Minister said.
"What is important is a policy decision in respect of coastal roads. We will need at least Rs 6,000-7000 crore for it. The coastal ring road, with west to east connectivity, will have tunnels, link roads, coastal roads and stilt road
where mangroves grow. It is estimated that the land-fill will be around 42 hectares," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket