Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and Home Minister R.R. Patil Friday welcomed the Delhi court judgment giving the death penalty to the four men convicted in the gang-rape case of Dec 16 last year.
"After this judgment, nobody will dare to repeat such a horrific and grave crime," Chavan said, reacting to the court ruling.
The judgment will offer some solace to the victim`s family, said Chavan, expressing satisfaction that the case was disposed of within eight-nine months after the crime was committed.
"To ensure speedy justice in cases involving atrocities on women, even Maharashtra has set up special fast track courts in the state," Chavan said.
"The judgment will send an appropriate message to society and I hope that the ruling will be confirmed by the higher courts," Home Minister Patil said soon after the Delhi court ruling.
Patil said that just as the trial had been conducted quickly, further legal formalities should also be taken up, and the accused hanged as soon as possible.
On the gang-rape of the woman photojournalist in Shakti Mills in central Mumbai last month, Chavan and Patil said that the police will file a charge sheet in the case soon, and the trial will be conducted in a fast-track court.