Prithviraj, Vasnik, Thorat in fray for Maha CM`s post
Mumbai: Following Maharashtra Chief
Minister Ashok Chavan`s submission of resignation to the
Governor Tuesday in the wake of the Adarsh Housing Society scam,
speculation is rife over his successor, with names of a few
central and state party leaders doing the rounds.
Names of Maharashtra Agriculture Minister Balasaheb
Thorat, Union Ministers Prithviraj Chavan and Mukul Vasnik as
well as Vilasrao Deshmukh are in the reckoning, Congress
In case the high command vetoes Vilasrao`s candidature
as his name also figured in the scam, he is all set to back
Thorat, who enjoys clean image in the state politics, sources
Thorat has been an MLA since 1985, a cabinet minister
for last 11 years, a staunch loyalist of Congress and Gandhi
family and a leading figure in state co-operative movement.
Vasnik, senior Congress leader from Vidarbha region,
has credentials of Gandhi family loyalist and confidante, a
Dalit, and also an organisation man with clean image, they
Congress observers including A K Antony are reaching
Mumbai in the afternoon and will meet party legislators to
gauge their opinions on the new CLP leader.
Names of Prithviraj Chavan, known as a staunch
opponent of NCP chief Sharad Pawar in western Maharashtra, and
Union minister Sushilkumar Shinde who is a Dalit, are also
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM