Privilege notice against minister over anti-superstition bill
Mumbai: Leader of Opposition in Maharashtra Legislative Assembly Eknath Khadse on Tuesday moved a breach of privilege notice against a senior state minister, alleging that the House was not taken into confidence while incorporating certain changes in the anti-superstition bill.
"Minister for social justice Shivajirao Moghe, without taking the House into confidence, sought to modify the bill, with the help of Shyam Manav (an activist of the Maharashtra Andhashraddha Nirmoolan Samiti, an organisation working to eradicate superstition)," Khadse said.
"I feel both Moghe and Manav have indulged in breach of privilege of the House and hence, I am submitting the notice against them," Khadse said.
"The minister has announced that the modified bill would be introduced in the ongoing monsoon session of state Legislature. By doing this, he and Manav have challenged the privilege of the House," the senior BJP leader said.
Speaker Dilip Walse Patil informed the members that he would give a ruling on Khadse`s notice later. "Under the principles of natural justice, it is appropriate that the minister is allowed to explain his action first," he said.
The MANS has been championing the "Maharashtra Prevention and Eradication of Human Sacrifice and Other Inhuman, Evil and Aghori Practices and Black Magic Bill" for a long time.
The bill proposes imprisonment up to seven years for those indulging in black magic and evil practices. The government has proposed making advertisement, practice, propagation and promotion of such acts non-bailable offences.
The legislation will also cover quacks (tantriks and unregistered medics) propagating black magic and other dubious practices as cures for ailments.
Those who claim to be godmen with powers to conduct surgeries just with their fingers or who use `tantra-mantra` to cure snake and dog bites and more serious illnesses will be punishable under the law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state