Probe how `Chhota Pakistan` was printed: Minorities Commission
Mumbai: The State Minorities Commission has asked the Maharashtra State Electricity Board (MSEB) to probe the "serious lapse" of terming the Santosh Bhuvan area of Nalla Sopara in Thane with the derogatory term `Chhota Pakistan` on its bills.
"This is a serious matter. Please inquire into it and inform the Commission about your findings," State Minority Commission Chairman Munaf Hakim said in a letter to the MSEB chief.
"Let us know at what level did the directive to term the area as `Chhota Pakistan` emanated," the letter said.
Hakim`s letter came after the derogatory term, used to describe predominantly Muslim slums across the country, found its way into official documents.
In a shocking case of administrative apathy, residents of the Santosh Bhuvan area in Nalla Sopara have been receiving electricity bills that list their home addresses as `Chhota Pakistan`.
The state-run Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company Ltd (MSEDC) has been sending these bills to Santosh Bhuvan residents for at least last 14 months.
Officials of the Maharashtra State Electricity Board, the umbrella body, have said they were unaware of how the lapse occurred and that the error was only spotted during a drive to collect applications for Aadhar cards.
Electricity bills as accepted as proof of residence for all official applications (phone connections, passports etc) and residents from Santosh Bhuvan had attached these with their Aadhar forms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Italy earthquake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors
- Awwdorable: Vivek Dahiya singing 'Lag Ja Gale' to Divyanka Tripathi will melt your heart – Watch
- Here's PV Sindhu's REPLY to Telangana deputy CM who offered her a 'better coach' than Pullela Gopichand
- When Smriti Irani was denied cabin crew job for 'lack of good personality' - Know Details
- Health Ministry to start awareness campaign on dengue, chikungunya