Probe ordered into killing of suspected women ultras
Gadchiroli: A magisterial inquiry has been ordered into the death of six suspected women Naxals, who were killed in a police encounter near here in Eastern Maharashtra early this month, a senior administration official said on Tuesday.
The gun battle took place on July 7 near village Mendhri in Etapalli taluka of this Naxal-affected district.
"The Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) of Etapalli will conduct the probe," District Collector Abhishek Krishna told PTI here today.
The inquiry report is expected to be submitted within one-and-a-half month, he said.
Krishna said the probe is being conducted as per the guidelines of National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) related to death of women in police firing or encounters.
Meanwhile, the SDM of Etapalii has appealed to the people of the area, where the gunfight took place, to submit their statements/affidavits about the incident to his office on or before July 25.
The encounter became controversial after the villagers told the visiting mediamen the that these women, after being surrounded by police personnel, wanted to surrender but were shot dead. Some of the deceased were in their late teens.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot