Probe ordered into killing of suspected women ultras
Gadchiroli: A magisterial inquiry has been ordered into the death of six suspected women Naxals, who were killed in a police encounter near here in Eastern Maharashtra early this month, a senior administration official said on Tuesday.
The gun battle took place on July 7 near village Mendhri in Etapalli taluka of this Naxal-affected district.
"The Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) of Etapalli will conduct the probe," District Collector Abhishek Krishna told PTI here today.
The inquiry report is expected to be submitted within one-and-a-half month, he said.
Krishna said the probe is being conducted as per the guidelines of National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) related to death of women in police firing or encounters.
Meanwhile, the SDM of Etapalii has appealed to the people of the area, where the gunfight took place, to submit their statements/affidavits about the incident to his office on or before July 25.
The encounter became controversial after the villagers told the visiting mediamen the that these women, after being surrounded by police personnel, wanted to surrender but were shot dead. Some of the deceased were in their late teens.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands