Probe ordered into killing of suspected women ultras
Gadchiroli: A magisterial inquiry has been ordered into the death of six suspected women Naxals, who were killed in a police encounter near here in Eastern Maharashtra early this month, a senior administration official said on Tuesday.
The gun battle took place on July 7 near village Mendhri in Etapalli taluka of this Naxal-affected district.
"The Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) of Etapalli will conduct the probe," District Collector Abhishek Krishna told PTI here today.
The inquiry report is expected to be submitted within one-and-a-half month, he said.
Krishna said the probe is being conducted as per the guidelines of National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) related to death of women in police firing or encounters.
Meanwhile, the SDM of Etapalii has appealed to the people of the area, where the gunfight took place, to submit their statements/affidavits about the incident to his office on or before July 25.
The encounter became controversial after the villagers told the visiting mediamen the that these women, after being surrounded by police personnel, wanted to surrender but were shot dead. Some of the deceased were in their late teens.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living