Probe ordered into killing of suspected women ultras
Gadchiroli: A magisterial inquiry has been ordered into the death of six suspected women Naxals, who were killed in a police encounter near here in Eastern Maharashtra early this month, a senior administration official said on Tuesday.
The gun battle took place on July 7 near village Mendhri in Etapalli taluka of this Naxal-affected district.
"The Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) of Etapalli will conduct the probe," District Collector Abhishek Krishna told PTI here today.
The inquiry report is expected to be submitted within one-and-a-half month, he said.
Krishna said the probe is being conducted as per the guidelines of National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) related to death of women in police firing or encounters.
Meanwhile, the SDM of Etapalii has appealed to the people of the area, where the gunfight took place, to submit their statements/affidavits about the incident to his office on or before July 25.
The encounter became controversial after the villagers told the visiting mediamen the that these women, after being surrounded by police personnel, wanted to surrender but were shot dead. Some of the deceased were in their late teens.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise