Probing to find if terrorists behind blasts: Patil
Pune: Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil on Thursday said investigating agencies were probing all angles to determine whether any terror outfit was behind the low intensity serial bomb blasts that rocked the city last night.
"Whether it was a terrorist act or not will be determined only after proper investigations are carried out by Maharashtra ATS, city crime branch and central agencies," Patil told reporters after visiting the four blast sites on J M Road here.
Four coordinated low-intensity explosions struck the busy arterial J M road in the heart of Pune last night.The explosions occurred at Jangli Maharaj(JM) road at spots near Balgandharva Theatre, Dena Bank branch, a McDonald food outlet and Garware Bridge.
Asked whether there could be a "saffron terror" angle to the incident, he said, "All angles are being probed and it will not be proper to comment at this stage."
He said the person injured in one of the blasts-- near Bal Gandharva theatre -- was being treated for minor injuries.
The injured person-- Dayanand Patil, who hails from a nearby village of Uruli Kanchan, had reportedly visited the spot opposite the Balgandharva Theatre, where a `dharna` agitation by India Against Corruption (IAC) was in progress.
After he left the place, the explosive, which had apparently been put in his carry bag, exploded on the way, police sources said.
Unconfirmed reports said ammonium nitrate could have been the substance used in the blast triggered by small detonators and pencil cells.
Police have also issued an advisory to IAC activists to wind up the dharna pandal for security reasons.
Life in the city returned to normal late night as the blasts did not cause any large scale damage.
Police have appealed to people to ignore rumours and carry on daily routine without fear.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- LIVE: Indian Army destroys 7 terror launch pads across Line of Control