Protests against Kannadiga Mayor for Belgaum
Mumbai: Shiv Sena workers, including some
legislators, today staged demonstrations against Karnataka
Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa here, protesting the `forcible
installation` of a Kannadiga mayor in Marathi-dominated
The Sena members staged a protest at Gateway of India,
adjacent to Taj hotel where the Karnataka CM was put up.
The protesters shouted slogans against the Karnataka
CM, demanding that Belgaum, along with Marathi speaking areas
in that state, be merged with Maharashtra.
The election of Ningappa Nirwani as mayor of the
Belgaum Municipal Corporation has led to Maharashtra
Legislative Assembly being adjourned over the election issue.
Yesterday, over 50 Karnataka Rakshana Vedike (KRV)
activists were taken into custody when they allegedly tried to
attack some members of Maharashtra Ekikaran Samithi (MES) and
corporators of Belgaum City Corporation.
The MES members and corporators had come to submit a
memorandum to Law Minister Suresh Kumar protesting against the
election of new Mayor of Belgaum.
They alleged that nominations of other corporators
were rejected to pave way for the election of a "Kannadiga" as
a mayor for the first time in Belgaum.
Sena has supported Maharashtra Ekikaran Samiti leaders
who met Maharashtra politicians to seek intervention.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India