Public awareness to curb female foeticide: Bhujbal
Satara: Public awareness is crucial in checking female foeticide cases in Maharashtra, where the child sex ratio has fallen drastically in the rural areas,
Maharashtra government said on Thursday.
"We can make tough laws, but laws, which do not have public support are of no use. That is why, public awareness along with education is crucial in checking female foeticide cases in Maharashtra," state PWD Minister Chhagan Bhujbal said, after launching a padyatra initiated by NCP MP Supriya Sule from Naigaon in the district.
Sule has launched a drive to save the girl child in the wake of depleting female sex ratio in rural parts of the state and wants the government to increase the quantum of punishment against the offenders in cases of female foeticide.
Fewer girls are born in rural areas than in urban as per recently released provisional Census 2011 data.
The child sex ratio, which indicates the number of girls born per 1,000 boys, has fallen from 916 in rural Maharashtra to 880, a drop of 36 points. In contrast, the child sex ratio in urban Maharashtra has dipped from 908 to 888 in the last
Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil also joined the padyatra, along with his daughter. He said, it was a matter of concern that the girl-child ratio in 0-6 age group has fallen to 750 in some tehsils of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’