Public awareness to curb female foeticide: Bhujbal
Satara: Public awareness is crucial in checking female foeticide cases in Maharashtra, where the child sex ratio has fallen drastically in the rural areas,
Maharashtra government said on Thursday.
"We can make tough laws, but laws, which do not have public support are of no use. That is why, public awareness along with education is crucial in checking female foeticide cases in Maharashtra," state PWD Minister Chhagan Bhujbal said, after launching a padyatra initiated by NCP MP Supriya Sule from Naigaon in the district.
Sule has launched a drive to save the girl child in the wake of depleting female sex ratio in rural parts of the state and wants the government to increase the quantum of punishment against the offenders in cases of female foeticide.
Fewer girls are born in rural areas than in urban as per recently released provisional Census 2011 data.
The child sex ratio, which indicates the number of girls born per 1,000 boys, has fallen from 916 in rural Maharashtra to 880, a drop of 36 points. In contrast, the child sex ratio in urban Maharashtra has dipped from 908 to 888 in the last
Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil also joined the padyatra, along with his daughter. He said, it was a matter of concern that the girl-child ratio in 0-6 age group has fallen to 750 in some tehsils of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened