Public awareness to curb female foeticide: Bhujbal
Satara: Public awareness is crucial in checking female foeticide cases in Maharashtra, where the child sex ratio has fallen drastically in the rural areas,
Maharashtra government said on Thursday.
"We can make tough laws, but laws, which do not have public support are of no use. That is why, public awareness along with education is crucial in checking female foeticide cases in Maharashtra," state PWD Minister Chhagan Bhujbal said, after launching a padyatra initiated by NCP MP Supriya Sule from Naigaon in the district.
Sule has launched a drive to save the girl child in the wake of depleting female sex ratio in rural parts of the state and wants the government to increase the quantum of punishment against the offenders in cases of female foeticide.
Fewer girls are born in rural areas than in urban as per recently released provisional Census 2011 data.
The child sex ratio, which indicates the number of girls born per 1,000 boys, has fallen from 916 in rural Maharashtra to 880, a drop of 36 points. In contrast, the child sex ratio in urban Maharashtra has dipped from 908 to 888 in the last
Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil also joined the padyatra, along with his daughter. He said, it was a matter of concern that the girl-child ratio in 0-6 age group has fallen to 750 in some tehsils of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Navjot Singh Sidhu gets place in Punjab BJP core committee, Anil Joshi out
- She's just 8 months old but parents want mercy killing: Read her story
- Trump's Brexit remarks make him 'unfit' for President: Clinton aides
- Sourav Ganguly not present during my interview for coaching role, says Ravi Shastri
- Anantnag bypolls: Mehbooba Mufti wins by over 12,000 votes, Congress calls it "murder of democracy"