Pune blasts: New weapon – cake bomb?
Pune: Though of low-intensity, the serial bomb blasts in Pune has left security officials very worried, especially the emergence of the cake bomb.
The bombs used in the blasts were covered by cake and placed in a cake box, Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) officials were quoted as saying by the newspaper DNA.
As per the report, the bombs were packed in khakhi boxes, similar to the ones used by bakeries to pack cakes. The bomb assemblies were covered in cakes, topped with a pink colour chemical and ball bearings were used as splinters. The ATS officials added that timer devices may also have been used.
From the exterior it looked like cake but was a bomb within. Also, it was packed in such a manner that the bomb would be triggered when the box is opened.
The ATS officials noticed that brand new red Mountain Terrain Bikes were used at the three places. Since none of the bikes had soil or mud on their tyres, they suspect that the cycles were carried to the spot in other vehicle and parked.
Some other reports claimed that a sticky substance was found at the site of the Balgandharva blast. Preliminary forensic analysis points to the use of ammonium nitrate but official confirmation is awaited.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid