Pune bus road rage: Santosh Mane gets death for mowing down 9
Pune: After pronouncing Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation driver Santosh Mane guilty for mowing down nine people in a road rage incident in 2012, a sessions court on Monday has sentenced death to him.
On February 3, 2012, Mane hijacked a bus and went berserk driving on the wrong side and rammed into several vehicles injuring more than 30 people.
Mane was convicted under Sections 302, 307, 324, 427, 381 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) for murder, attempt to murder, damage to public property and theft.
The prosecution had filed a 270-page chargesheet against Mane and examined 39 witnesses to establish that the driver was "stable and conscious" and not "insane" at the time of the incident.
The defence had produced two witnesses, including a psychiatrist and a chemist from Solapur, his hometown, to show that he was mentally unstable.
A large number of relatives of those killed in the gruesome incident were present in the court room. Mane`s face remained devoid of any emotion when he was pronounced guilty.
(With Inputs From PTI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing