Pune firing: Chavan meets Governor
Mumbai: Amid growing outrage, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan met Governor K Shankaranarayanan, Friday, to discuss the controversial police firing on farmers in Pune.
The CM met the Governor on being summoned by the Raj Bhavan. Importantly, leaders of the Opposition parties had held a meeting with Narayananan today morning and demanded that the state government be dismissed over the issue.
The state government has already ordered a judicial probe into the incident and said the guilty will be punished in accordance with the law.
Meanwhile, two Pune police officials have been suspended over the firing incident.
Three persons were killed and scores injured in police firing in Maval near Pune on Tuesday following the protests over a closed pipeline project to supply water to the industrial township of Pimpri-Chinchwad town, near Pune city.
Controversy erupted after a video footage of the incident showed some policemen apparently aiming their guns and shooting at unarmed protesters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan