Pune firing: Chavan meets Governor
Mumbai: Amid growing outrage, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan met Governor K Shankaranarayanan, Friday, to discuss the controversial police firing on farmers in Pune.
The CM met the Governor on being summoned by the Raj Bhavan. Importantly, leaders of the Opposition parties had held a meeting with Narayananan today morning and demanded that the state government be dismissed over the issue.
The state government has already ordered a judicial probe into the incident and said the guilty will be punished in accordance with the law.
Meanwhile, two Pune police officials have been suspended over the firing incident.
Three persons were killed and scores injured in police firing in Maval near Pune on Tuesday following the protests over a closed pipeline project to supply water to the industrial township of Pimpri-Chinchwad town, near Pune city.
Controversy erupted after a video footage of the incident showed some policemen apparently aiming their guns and shooting at unarmed protesters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Pokemon Go fever fading in United States
- Big three leaders insist EU not finished after Brexit
- Renault Kwid (1.0-litre) SCe vs Maruti Alto K10 vs Hyundai Eon 1.0-litre - Spec Comparison
- Here's everything you want to know about Yo Yo Honey Singh's upcoming song!
- No respite from flood situation in UP, Bihar; schools closed in Allahabad, Varanasi