Pune firing: Maharashtra Assembly adjourned
Mumbai: Opposition in Maharashtra Assembly continued to stall the proceedings for the fourth consecutive day Friday on their demand for immediate suspension of cops involved in the firing on farmers in Pune district earlier this week.
Immediately after the House assembled for the day, Opposition members trooped into the Well of the House and Deputy Speaker Vasant Purke immediately announced the adjournment till the end of the Question Hour.
The House was again adjourned for half an hour after repeated requests of Speaker Dilip Walse Patil to the Opposition members, who squatted in the Well, to take their
seats, went unheard.
Earlier in the morning, a delegation of 70 Opposition members met Maharashtra Governor K Sankaranarayanan and demanded dismissal of the government which they termed as "inefficient".
Even though the government has announced a judicial probe into the firing, Opposition members are demanding immediate suspension of the police officials who fired on the protesting farmers, killing three of them.
The farmers from Maval taluka who draw water for irrigation from the Pavana dam were agitating against the piped water supply scheme from the dam to Pimpri-Chinchwad Municipal Corporation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead