Pune firing: Situation peaceful; probe ordered
Pune: A day after police firing and violence
in Maval near here, killing three persons, the situation is
peaceful and under control, official sources said on Wednesday.
A magisterial inquiry had been ordered into the firing in
which three farmers were killed and one seriously injured,
District collector Vikas Deshmukh said.
He clarified that the figure of dead in the police firing
so far was three and not four as reported earlier and one of
the seriously injured was being treated at a hospital at
Deshmukh said about 50 police personnel including ten
officers too were injured in the stone pelting in the farmers`
protest on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway, against a closed
pipeline project on the Pavna dam to facilitate water supply
to the industrial township of Pimpri-Chinchwad.
Many private and police vehicles were damaged in the
violent incidents that blocked the highway for hours
Meanwhile, Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar
today visited the injured in hospitals to inquire about their
Shiv Sena spokesperson and MLC Neelam Gorhe demanded
resignation of Pawar, District Guardian Minister, for
"unwarranted" police firing at Maval, about 70 kms from here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- 26/11 mastermind Hafiz Saeed announces 'jihad to free Pakistani rivers from India'
- Chinese ship inaugurates expanded Panama Canal
- Euro 2016: Germany cruise into last eight with 3-0 Slovakia win
- Security in Kashmir reviewed following Pampore attack; Amarnath Yatra to begin soon
- Southwest monsoon progresses in Gujarat