Pune firing: Two cops suspended
Mumbai/New Delhi: Facing heat on the
controversial police firing on farmers near Pune, Maharashtra
government on Friday suspended two police officers while the
National Human Rights Commission(NHRC) issued a notice to Pune
Police Commissioner and sought a report.
A 70-member delegation of Opposition members of the
Maharashtra Legislature led by Leader of Opposition in the
Assembly Eknath Khadse also met Governor K Sankaranarayanan in
Mumbai and demanded dismissal of the state government over the
police action on Tuesday in which three farmers were killed
during violent protests by farmers.
Home Minister R R Patil told the Legislative Council
that Police inspector Ashok Patil and sub-inspector Ganesh
Mane have been suspended, a day after six constables attached
to Pune rural police were suspended for "vandalising private
vehicles" during the protest by farmers in Maval region, near
Acting on a complaint, the NHRC asked the Pune Police
Commissioner to file the report within four weeks.
The farmers were protesting against a pipeline project
for supply of water from Pavna dam to Pimpri-Chinchwad
township when police opened fire.
The issue has rocked the Maharashtra Legislature since
Tuesday with the opposition stalling the proceedings and
demanding immediate action against the policemen involved in
A controversy has erupted over the police firing after a
video footage aired showed some policemen apparently aiming
their guns and shooting at unarmed protesters.
Video footage of the incident aired by TV channels
showed the farmers running away as the policemen fired at them
indiscriminately and not in the air.
Eight farmers were also arrested for allegedly
attacking policemen and damaging property during the protest,
The delegation that met the Governor complained that
the law and order situation in the state had gone beyond the
control of the state government and demanded its immediate
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees