Pune firing: Video footage triggers controversy
Mumbai/Pune: A raging controversy erupted
over the police firing at Maval, near Pune, in which three
farmers were killed after a video footage aired on Thursday showed
some policemen apparently aiming their guns and shooting at
The firing incident during violent protests on Tuesday
continued to rock both Houses of Maharashtra Legislature for
the third consecutive day with Opposition members creating a
ruckus and calling the police action a "cold-blooded
encounter". They also demanded suspension of police officers
involved in the firing which has sparked an outcry.
Video footage of the incident aired by TV channels
showed the farmers running away as the policemen fired at them
indiscriminately and not in the air.
With questions being raised over the manner in which
police handled the situation, Pune rural Police Superintendent
Sandip Karnik told reporters six of the injured were hit by
bullets below waist and it was unfortunate that three were
shot above waist resulting in fatalities.
The Maharashtra government also sent a report to the
Union Home Ministry explaining the circumstances under which
the police had to resort to firing. The Home Ministry had
sought a report.
Terming the firing as `murder`, Shiv Sena executive
president Uddhav Thackeray demanded resignation of Deputy
Chief Minister Ajit Pawar and Home Minister R R Patil.
Police said the firing was prompted after they were
attacked by farmers with stones and their jeeps burnt while
they were negotiating with the farmers` leaders.
Three persons were killed and scores injured in police
firing in Maval near Pune on Tuesday following the protests
over a closed pipeline project to supply water to the
industrial township of Pimpri-Chinchwad town.
The Lower House was adjourned five times while the Upper
House four times as the opposition members shouted slogans
against the government.
Leader of Opposition in the Legislative Council
Pandurang Phundkar said "...Even news channels have aired
videos that policemen were seen chasing the farmers."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state