Pune landslide: Infant`s cries alert NDRF personnel to rescue mom and child
Pune: Amidst the chaos of the disastrous landslide which wiped out Malin village off the map, a three-month-old Rudra asserted his right to life, by crying and beckoning rescuers, for more than eight hours, while clutching his mother fainting under the suffocating debris.
Eventually, it was Rudra`s full throated crying which alerted National Disaster Relief Force (NDRF) personnel to locate him from the gloomy recesses of a mound formed by the cascading debris.
Recuperating at a hospital at nearby Manchar, Rudra`s mother Pramila Limbe said that both of them were trapped under the heap of mud as the hillock came crashing down yesterday morning when she was nursing her child.
"I held on to an iron shelf in the house used to keep utensils along with Rudra and kept on shouting for help which went unheeded. However, Rudra kept on crying loudly until rescuers managed to locate us," said Pramila, lying on a hospital bed with Rudra snuggling by her side looking surprisingly hale and hearty.
An NDRF official said that mother and child remained trapped from 8 am to 4.30 pm yesterday until Rudra`s crying kept beckoning them to the right spot where the debris had developed a little crack, just enough to let air filter through the landslide debris.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what