Pune landslide: Infant`s cries alert NDRF personnel to rescue mom, child
Pune: Amidst the chaos of the disastrous landslide which wiped out Malin village off the map, a three-month-old Rudra asserted his right to life, by crying and beckoning rescuers, for more than eight hours, while clutching his mother fainting under the suffocating debris.
Eventually, it was Rudra`s full throated crying which alerted National Disaster Relief Force (NDRF) personnel to locate him from the gloomy recesses of a mound formed by the cascading debris.
Recuperating at a hospital at nearby Manchar, Rudra`s mother Pramila Limbe said that both of them were trapped under the heap of mud as the hillock came crashing down yesterday morning when she was nursing her child.
"I held on to an iron shelf in the house used to keep utensils along with Rudra and kept on shouting for help which went unheeded. However, Rudra kept on crying loudly until rescuers managed to locate us," said Pramila, lying on a hospital bed with Rudra snuggling by her side looking surprisingly hale and hearty.
An NDRF official said that mother and child remained trapped from 8 am to 4.30 pm yesterday until Rudra`s crying kept beckoning them to the right spot where the debris had developed a little crack, just enough to let air filter through the landslide debris.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review