Pune landslide: Over 15 dead, several feared trapped; search on for survivors
Zee News Media
Pune: At least 18 people are estimated to have been killed and over 100 are feared trapped under debris after a landslide triggered by heavy rains hit a village in Pune district of Maharashtra on Wednesday morning.
Around forty houses in Malin village in Ambegaon taluk of the district that came in the landslide`s path of destruction were completely destroyed. The landslide was triggered after two lakes in the region overflowed today. There are over 750 residents in the village, reports said.
The ill-fated village is just 10 kilometres from Bhimashankar Jyotirling Temple and 70 kilometres from Pune city.
Also See: Pune Landslide: Before & After
The district administration has activated search and rescue operations. Seven NDRF teams have reached the affected area and started rescue operation with state-of-the-art equipment and communication sets. Two more teams are moving from Mumbai.
With rescue work underway, six trapped victims have been rescued so far.
All seven NDRF teams reached and have started rescue operation. Two more teams are moving from Mumbai @HMOIndia .
— PIB India (@PIB_India) July 30, 2014
Rescue teams are equipped with state-of-the-art equipment and communication sets. Two UAVs also to join in on-going rescue work @HMOIndia
— PIB India (@PIB_India) July 30, 2014
Home Minister Rajnath Singh is heading for Pune to visit the landslide affected area on Thursday. He will also review the rescue operations that are underway to rescue the people trapped under the debris.
Rajnath decided to leave for the devastated Pune village after Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke to him on the tragedy.
Modi said that the loss of lives in the landslide in the Pune`s district Malin village is saddening. "Loss of lives in landslide in Pune district is saddening. Spoke to Rajnath ji and he would be travelling to Pune to take stock of the situation," Modi tweeted.
Loss of lives in landslide in Pune dist. is saddening. Spoke to Rajnath ji & he would be travelling to Pune to take stock of the situation.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) July 30, 2014
However, heavy rains coupled with remoteness of the area is hampering rescue work. The district collector and other officials are at the spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015