Pune techie beaten to death, 13 men of Hindu outfit arrested
Pune: A 28-year-old software professional was bludgeoned to death allegedly by persons with suspected links to a Hindu outfit near here, police said Wednesday.
A total of 13 persons have been arrested by police in connection with the murder of Shaikh Mohasin Sadiq in Bankar Colony in Hadapsa area on Monday night with six more people being arrested today.
The trigger for the attack was apparently uploading of derogatory pictures of warrior king Shivaji and late Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray on Facebook, which led to a protest bandh on Sunday.
The murder of Sadiq, who hailed from Solapur, sparked tension in the area, police said. The victim worked in the IT department of a textile firm in the city.
The accused have been booked under sections 302 (murder), 307 (attempt to murder) and 147 (rioting) of Indian Penal Code.
They are said to be linked to Hindu Rashtra Sena, a right wing organisation.
The victim was thrashed with sticks at Bankar Colony by the accused and he succumbed to his injuries during treatment at a nearby hospital, police said.
Two other youths too had been attacked and injured in stone throwing at the same spot on the same night, according to police.
Commissioner of Police Satish Mathur told PTI this evening that "situation in Hadapsar was totally peaceful" and people were going about their normal lives.
Mathur said that the six people picked up today belonged to the same outfit of the seven members who were earlier arrested.
The seven persons arrested earlier were remanded in police custody till June 9 by a local court today.
Police said the case was handed over to Crime Branch and they have appealed to citizens not to believe or spread rumours as the situation is peaceful.
Security has been beefed up in the area.
When asked if the fatal attack had any connection with the protest over Facebook pictures, DCP Manoj Patil said, "There is no direct connection." He, however, did not rule out indirect fallout of the Facebook posts.
Patil also said the situation was now "peaceful and under control".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof