Pune techie murder: 17 arrested; 180 others held for rioting, violence
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: The Maharashtra Police have arrested 180 people in for rioting and violence following posting of the derogatory pictures of Chhatrapati Shivaji, Chhatrapati Sambhaji and Shiv Sena founder, the late Bal Thackeray on social networking site Facebook.
Besides these, 17 activists of Hindu Rashtra Sena (HRS), including two minors, have been arrested in connection with the lynching of a 27-year old techie Mohsin Sadiq Shaikh after certain derogatory Facebook posts surfaced last week.
Shaikh, hailing from Solapur was attacked with hockey sticks and rods near Hadapsar and beaten to death. The killing was ostensibly provoked by the derogatory Facebook posts - which he had nothing to do with.
The attack was apparently triggered after certain insulting posts on Facebook surfaced on Chhatrapati Shivaji, Chhatrapati Sambhaji and Shiv Sena founder, the late Bal Thackeray.
The objectionable posts on Facefook that led to violence and brutal murder of the IT professional were uploaded from IP addresses in four countries using proxy servers, police said on Friday.
Investigators have tracked down the Internet Protocol(IP) addresses of four different computers to the Netherlands, Saudi Arabia, France and Romania, a police officer told PTI.
In Mumbai, an FIR was registered against unidentified persons on May 31, under Section 295 A (deliberate and malicious acts intended to outrage religious feelings of any class by insulting its religion or religious beliefs) of the Indian Penal Code and relevant sections of the Information Technology Act.
Pune Police Commissioner Satish Mathur said that they are contemplating invoking the stringent Maharashtra Prevention of Dangerous Acts (MPDA) as some of those nabbed have criminal records with other cases registered against them.
The accused have been already slapped with charges of murder, attempt to murder, rioting and other sections of Indian Penal Code for Shaikh`s brutal killing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note