Pune University guard shot dead
Pune: A security guard of the University of Pune was shot dead by an unidentified youth in the campus Thursday night, sending shockwaves among the student community here, police said Friday.
The incident occurred around 8 p.m., when the 56-year-old security guard, Prahlad Jogdandkar, caught a young couple allegedly in a compromising position in an isolated spot on the 410-acre lush green university campus.
He ordered them to pay a penalty of Rs.500 as per the new rules implemented by the university to check trespassing and shady activities on the campus.
The youth quietly paid up and left with his girlfriend on his motorcycle, said an officer at the Chaturshringi police station.
However, the youth returned again after half an hour and demanded Rs.100 back from the security guard since he had no money to fill up petrol in his motorcycle.
When Jogdandkar refused to refund the money, there was an argument and a scuffle, and another security guard rushed there.
Suddenly, the youth whipped out a revolver and fired two rounds at Jogdandkar, and disappeared from the spot.
Jogdandkar was rushed to the Sassoon Hospital where he was later declared dead on admission, police said.
As part of the overall security overhauling in the city, in January, following a police directive, the university administration had beefed up security on the sprawling campus.
Besides registering all vehicles entering the campus, all visitors were required to enter their details at the two main gates to prevent unauthorised people from entering and misusing the campus.
The University of Pune falls in a high-security zone, which includes the Raj Bhavan Pune and other important buildings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city