Purti case: BJP rejects I-T summons to party president Nitin Gadkari
New Delhi/Nagpur: A day after Income Tax department’s summons to BJP president Nitin Gadkari in connection with alleged tax evasion, the Bharatiya Janata Party on Sunday rejected the reports as baseless.
The party alleged that it was a plot to malign Gadkari’s image. The report was also denied by the party president who said he hasn`t received any notice from the I-T department.
"There is no such official notice. These are all source based information. Somebody is behind this propaganda and trying to malign Gadkari`s image. Gadkari himself has offered for the inquiry," BJP vice-president Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said.
However, top sources in the department had said yesterday that Gadkari has been asked to appear personally so that he can be confronted with the documents and probe conducted by the I-T in this regard in the last few months.
"He had sought an adjournment for two weeks citing that he is not present in Nagpur. He has been given the extension and the new date for appearance is January 21," they said. “We need to confront him with the probe that we have conducted and verify the facts,” they added.
Meanwhile, the I-T department has been probing various firms that invested in Gadkari`s company Purti Power and Sugar Limited (PPSL) and the probe unit here has sent a report in this regard to the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) in Delhi.
The department, according to sources, has allegedly found the details of almost 30 companies that have been "in transactions" with PPSL.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- UPSC Results 2014: Meet top three toppers