QNet scam: Ferreira files anticipatory bail plea
Former world Billiards champion Michael Ferreira has filed for anticipatory bail in a local court in connection with the Rs 425-crore scam allegedly committed by a multi-level marketing firm QNet, in which he claimed to hold shares.
Mumbai: Former world Billiards champion Michael Ferreira has filed for anticipatory bail in a local court in connection with the Rs 425-crore scam allegedly committed by a multi-level marketing firm QNet, in which he claimed to hold shares.
"Ferreira filed an anticipatory bail plea in the sessions court yesterday, which will come up for hearing later today," his spokesperson Harish Kumar said here.
He also said that Ferreira has challenged the lookout notice issued by the Mumbai Police against him on January 2.
In the second week of December, the Economic Offences Wing (EOW) of the city police, probing the QNet scam, had served summons to 75-year-old Ferreira, directing him to appear before them to quiz him about his association with the scam-hit company. However, he had not turned up.
The EOW has arrested nine team leaders of the QNet so far for allegedly duping investors by offering to sell products like magnetic disks, herbal products and holiday schemes through fraudulent practices.
QNet has also been accused of using the banned binary pyramid business model for their multi-level marketing (MLM) schemes to entice investors. The accused have been charged with cheating and forgery under relevant sections of the Prize, Chits and Money Circulation Schemes (Banning) Act 1978.
The lookout notice is a circular issued against a person when he/she is wanted by police either for questioning or for the purpose of arrest in any case.
It is circulated at all immigration checks at international borders (like International airports or sea ports) and as soon as the person is spotted, the authorities concerned are notified.
Ferreira, who was abroad on December 17, had said he would appear before the investigators as soon as he returns to India. He had also defended the controversial company.
Police said that they were not aware if the Padma Bhushan awardee was back in Mumbai or still abroad.
The winner of the World Amateur Billiards Championship had also described as "outrageous, malicious and untruthful" the allegations against him of defrauding people through QNet.