Rahul assures to tackle water crisis in drought-hit Aurangabad
Aurangabad: Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi today visited the drought-hit Aurangabad district and assured villagers of taking prompt measures to tackle water and fodder scarcity.
"The problems of water and fodder supply in drought-hit areas would be taken up on a war footing," Gandhi said while interacting with farmers and labourers in the drought-hit villages of Aurangabad in Maharashtra.
His visit came two days after Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan announced Rs 10 crore funds as drought relief in the district.
In order to prevent the usurping of relief being given to people, the Aadhar card scheme had been implemented, he said.
Soon after Gandhi landed here, he went to Phulambri tehsil, where he interacted with villagers at Nidhona.
Benefits of various schemes were not reaching the "last man" but with Aadhar, it is now possible, he said.
Gandhi also inspected the job cards given to labourers. At Nidhona, he called a small boy and putting his hand over his shoulders, enquired about the situation in his area.
In Pimpal village, which was not on the agenda of the visit, he accompanied a villager as a pillion rider and took a round of the area.
Rahul inspected the work being carried out under MNREGA at Nidhona. He talked to workers grappling with severe scarcity of water. Several villagers complained to him about lack of water and good roads in the tehsil.
Chavan, who was with Rahul, assured the villagers that adequate facilities would be soon provided to the villages in the tehsil and informed them of the various schemes of the government.
Rahul also visited the cattle and fodder camps at the Shewga, Gomsala and Babra and reviewed the progress of work under the Employment Guarantee Scheme.
Also on his agenda was reviewing the proceedings of the de-silting of the Harsul water reservoir here. He scheduled to visit Osmanabad and Jalna districts on Monday but it was cancelled after the Naxal attack in Chhattisgarh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof