Rahul draws flak from Opposition over Kargil remark
New Delhi: Rahul Gandhi and the BJP sparred on Sunday with the Congress leader reminding it that while in opposition his party had supported the ruling NDA on the Kargil issue but with roles reversed, it was not reciprocating on national issues.
BJP hit back saying the Congress had not done any obligation to it, saying it was the duty of every patriotic India to support the armed forces at that crucial juncture.
Gandhi, Congress General Secretary, raked up the Kargil issue in his speech at the Congress rally at Ramlila grounds here.
"We were also in the Opposition. Then the Kargil war happened. We were all together. Congress stands together in the interest of the country whether we are in government or not. They (BJP) oppose without any thought. They are engaged only in opposing without giving a thought to anything," Gandhi said.
This did not go down well with the BJP which retorted by saying it is the duty of all Indians to support the country at such a crucial juncture.
"Did they (Congress) oblige the NDA by supporting us in Kargil war. That is the duty of every patriotic citizen to support the country`s armed forces and the government at the time of a war," BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi told reporters when asked about Gandhi`s comments.
He added that there is nothing special about Congress having supported the Kargil war.
The Kargil conflict took place in 1999 when Pakistani forces entered Indian territory and occupied posts in Kargil area of Kashmir but had to retreat in the face of a crushing defeat by Indian forces.
Shiv Sena also slammed Rahul Gandhi for his comments that though Congress had backed BJP-led NDA government during the Kargil war, the opposition was not supporting FDI in retail.
"If Rahul does not understand the difference between Kargil and FDI in retail, he has no right to be in politics," Shiv Sena spokesman Sanjay Raut told PTI.
He was referring to the remarks made by Rahul Gandhi at the Congress party rally in Delhi today.
"Rahul is not only bachcha (novice) in politics but also kachcha (immature)," he said.
"Kargil was a war inflicted on the country by Pakistan. It was the duty of all to sink political differences and be united against enemy aggression. Congress did not do a favour by supporting the then government. Had Congress been in power during that time the NDA would have also supported the government," Raut said.
Rahul`s "friends" like Walmart were eager to enter Indian markets for their benefit, Raut accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened