Mumbai: Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi on Saturday interacted with management students of Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai.
Here is what he said:
- Rahul Gandhi attacked the Bharatiya Janata Party and Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh for what he termed as their "rigid thinking". "When you are intolerant, you curb the movement of ideas... India needs openness, flexibility... You can't have start-ups and be intolerant at the same time".
- The BJP has categories: There's a Hindu for them, a Muslim for them, a woman for them. I don't categorise. That's the difference between us and them.
- India is essentially an agrarian economy, but the present government was not doing enough for the farmers.
- China's power is centralised. China grabs you and you can see the power it has. India is decentralised. It grabs you and you don't see India's power.
- You can't totally prevent terror attacks but you can react in the right way. The main issue is how do we respond. During the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks, the then UPA government consulted all senior people. We completely marginalised Pakistan. Now, the way it is being handled is ad hoc.
- I don't think politicians should be anywhere near the administration of cricket. Cricket should be run by cricketers. I don't think politicians should be running cricket.
- The biggest problem India is facing today is massive centralisation of power. Everything is being done by three or four or five-six people. You can't solve problems by centralising power.
- The current PM used to ridicule our PM (Manmohan Singh) on the economy. Now, my advise to this PM is get to work.
- We (Congress) are not just 40 plus people in Lok Sabha we are 20 percent vote of the country.
- If the BJP actually wants to implement GST then they can agree to out points, but they are not doing it. We are the people who brought it, we know the GST will benefit the country and we want it to happen.
- Our education institutions are no less than US education institutes.