Rahul should lead Jaitapur agitation: Shiv Sena
Mumbai: If Congress leader Rahul Gandhi was
so concerned about farmers` land issues and their harassment,
he should visit Jaitapur in Maharashtra and lead the agitation
of the local farmers and fishermen against the proposed
nuclear power plant there, Shiv Sena said on Saturday.
"Rahul should visit Jaitapur and lead the agitation. We
will also join in," Sena executive president Uddhav Thackeray
"Rahul has waged an agitation against the Mayawati
government, saying that farmers` lands cannot be acquired by
force. He has also undertaken padyatras. This is nothing but a
farce by Rahul and Congress," Uddhav said.
"All this is a political nautanki (drama)," the Sena
Shiv Sena has backed the local people`s agitation against
the nuclear power project in Jaitapur, in coastal Ratnagiri
Despite the Jaitapur project being against farmers`
interests, lands were being acquired by force and the
government was firing upon farmers and fishermen who opposed
it, Uddhav said.
"On one hand, you undertake padyatra for farmers in
Uttar Pradesh, and on the other, take farmers` lives here.
Stop this drama. If you have courage, fight for Jaitapur
farmers. We will leave political differences aside and join
you," Uddhav said.
Sena leader`s comments came after Rahul Gandhi addressed
a Kisan Mahapanchayat, capping his 70-km foot march through
the villages of Greater Noida and Aligarh and rejected the
criticism that it was a "drama".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown