Rail budget should have made provision for ambulances: HC
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Monday observed
that the Union Railway Budget presented last week should have
made certain provisions for having at least one ambulance at
every suburban railway station in the city to cater to
accident victims immediately.
A division bench of Justices DK Deshmukh and KK Tated
was hearing a public interest litigation (PIL) filed by Sameer
Zaveri, a railway accident victim who lost his legs seeking
for the railways to implement safety measures at all stations
to facilitate quick medical aid to victims.
Advocate Suresh Kumar, appearing for the Western
Railways, told the court that arrangements have been made with
local ambulance services.
"But why cannot you (railways) buy your own ambulances.
This provision could have been made in this year`s budget.
Railways has enough resources to have one ambulance at every
station", Justice Deshmukh remarked.
The court has directed both Central and Western Railways
to file their affidavit by March 4 stating arrangements made
for providing ambulance services to persons meeting with
accidents while travelling on trains.
The court further observed that the railways should
co-ordinate with the state government. "It is a question of
pulling together all the resources. State government could
make arrangements to deploy at least one medical officer in
every station in case of emergencies", the bench remarked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!