Rain-battered Mumbai strives for normalcy
Mumbai: Battered by heavy rains for four days, Mumbai struggled to return to normalcy on Tuesday, ahead of Eid-ul-Fitr on Wednesday and the 10-day Ganeshotsav starting the next day.
Though intermittent but heavy rains continued to lash the metropolis since Monday night, there were no fresh flooding of streets and neighbourhoods, according to officials.
Road traffic was returning to its original self. But vehicles crawled on some roads and patches of the two highways running through the city.
Huge potholes have developed on the Eastern Express Highway due to heavy rains.
Schools were allowed to remain shut even on Tuesday.
Spells of heavy rains continued even in the coastal, northern, eastern and central parts of Maharashtra since Monday night.
A major landslide blocked Konkan Railway tracks near Pomendi, around 225 km south of Mumbai, bringing train services to a halt.
Thousands of Mumbaikars, rushing home to their villages or towns in the coastal Konkan region comprising Thane, Mumbai, Raigad, Ratnagiri and Sindhudurg districts, were forced to take to road transport.
The rains hit traders and businessmen hoping to cash in on the twin festivals of Eid-ul-Fitr and Ganeshotsav as shoppers stayed away.
"Usually, the week before Ganeshotsav or Eid, we notch up around 75 percent of the season`s sale. But this year it is barely 20 percent," rued Ajay Vora, manager with a leading chain of departmental stores.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know