Rain exposes lack of Mumbai airport preparedness for monsoon
Mumbai: Chinks in Mumbai airport infrastructure
were exposed today when disruption in power supply and
water logging at the newly-constructed terminal IC severely
affected flight operations.
The airport building was shut for about five hours and
several flights were delayed by up to 90 minutes.
Compounding the problem, the main runway remained out of
bound for flights for over one hour after an aircraft broke a
runway light while taking off, an airport source said.
Flights across airlines were delayed by one to
one-and-a-half-hours, the source said.
A Mumbai International Airport Limited (MAIL) spokesperson,
however, said the runway was closed for 50 minutes to clear
glass pieces from the tarmac.
"The main runway 09x27 was closed for 50 minutes (8.10 am
to 9 am) to clear glass pieces after the runway edge light was
broken by a departing aircraft of Blue Dart Express this
morning," the spokesperson said.
A moderate rainfall yesterday night resulted in water
logging in Terminal IC, built at a cost of Rs 300 crore, and
as a result the building remained shut for around five hours,
the source said.
"Due to flooding of the area, there was only one aerobridge
available for passengers to check-in and this had a
cascading effect on flights operations," the source said.
The new domestic passenger terminal 1C caters to domestic
traffic of national air-carrier, Air India and private
airlines, Jet Airways and Kingfisher Airlines, through its six
For the second day running, the airport witnessed power cut
for over 45 minutes which hampered operations, the source
"This was the second time in as many days when there was a
power cut at the airport. Yesterday too, there was no power at
the airport for almost two hours, affecting around 45 flights
of Air India, Jet Airways and Kingfisher Airlines," the source
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark