Rain halts in most parts of Mumbai, more predicted
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: After 24 hours of intermittent heavy to very heavy rain, the situation marginally improved in Mumbai on Wednesday afternoon, however, the Met Dept has predicted more rain in the coming days.
As per latest reports, suburban trains are running late on the central line. Services on the western and harbour lines were affected early today but are now back to close to normal.
Besides a huge pile up on the Western Expressway from JVLR flyover to Andheri flyover and waterlogging in some parts of Worli, road traffic remained unaffected in most parts of the island city.
What helped the situation was the thin traffic on the roads after Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) issued an advisory to Mumbaikars against venturing outdoors unless absolutely essential.
IMD officials have asked people to ignore any SMS warning of heavy floods in Mumbai, saying these are being circulated by rumour-mongers even as all agencies concerned with disaster management, relief and rescue operations have been put in a state of high alert.
In nearby Thane, a nearly one km-long stretch of Mumbra bypass caved in this morning due to incessant rains and has been closed for vehicular traffic, police said.
The Mumbra bypass on the National Highway 4 (Mumbai-Pune highway) is a crucial link to traffic fromDelhi-Ahmedabad-Mumbai (NH3) and Agra-Nashik-Mumbai (NH8) going towards Panvel, Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT), Pune and beyond, and is mostly used by heavy vehicles.
BMC Disaster Management Cell – 108
Complaints – 1916
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- Grand Alliance set to win Bihar election: Survey
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest