Rain halts in most parts of Mumbai, more predicted
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: After 24 hours of intermittent heavy to very heavy rain, the situation marginally improved in Mumbai on Wednesday afternoon, however, the Met Dept has predicted more rain in the coming days.
As per latest reports, suburban trains are running late on the central line. Services on the western and harbour lines were affected early today but are now back to close to normal.
Besides a huge pile up on the Western Expressway from JVLR flyover to Andheri flyover and waterlogging in some parts of Worli, road traffic remained unaffected in most parts of the island city.
What helped the situation was the thin traffic on the roads after Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) issued an advisory to Mumbaikars against venturing outdoors unless absolutely essential.
IMD officials have asked people to ignore any SMS warning of heavy floods in Mumbai, saying these are being circulated by rumour-mongers even as all agencies concerned with disaster management, relief and rescue operations have been put in a state of high alert.
In nearby Thane, a nearly one km-long stretch of Mumbra bypass caved in this morning due to incessant rains and has been closed for vehicular traffic, police said.
The Mumbra bypass on the National Highway 4 (Mumbai-Pune highway) is a crucial link to traffic fromDelhi-Ahmedabad-Mumbai (NH3) and Agra-Nashik-Mumbai (NH8) going towards Panvel, Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT), Pune and beyond, and is mostly used by heavy vehicles.
BMC Disaster Management Cell – 108
Complaints – 1916
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know