`Raise target limit of homes under Indira Awaas`
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government has urged the Centre to increase the target of houses to be constructed for the homeless Below Poverty Line (BPL) families in rural areas under the Indira Awaas Yojana.
Rural Development Minister Jayant Patil said last year the target of houses under the scheme was 1.55 lakh and now it was 1.51 lakh.
"Central allocation of funds is Rs 511 crore while the state government has made a provision of Rs 486 crore.
However, there are still 13 lakh eligible families.
Considering the gap between number of target houses and the number of beneficiaries, it will take another 8-9 years for them to get homes. Hence, it is neccessary to increase the target limit of houses to be constructed," Patil said.
The minister said under the special financial package for backward districts, the state got Rs 253 crore in the last two years for 12 districts where the human development index is low.
"This year, the state will get Rs 280 crore and a proposal for ten districts has already been sent to the Centre. Proposal for the remaining two districts will also be sent soon after which the money will be given. Yashada has
been entrusted with the task of conducting training camps, awareness programmes, study tours for improving the human development index in these districts," he said.
Yashada has been given Rs 48 crore for the task to be carried out in a period of four years and Rs 36 crore has
already been spent," Patil informed. The minister said the state government will also seek central funds for planned development of 389 large villages in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you