Raj supports cartoonist, asks govt to withdraw case
Mumbai: MNS chief Raj Thackeray on Tuesday supported the cartoonist Aseem Trivedi and demanded that he be set free and the sedition charge against him be dropped.
"Why was Trivedi arrested and cases filed against him? Those who committed treason are free and one who just drew a cartoon was jailed," Raj told reporters here this evening.
"Afzal Guru and Kasab have not been hanged yet. Is this not a mockery?" Raj said.
Defending Trivedi, Raj, himself an able cartoonist, said, "What wrong has he done? He was merely commenting on corrupt politicians.
"What is wrong in expressing anger through cartoons? One should understand the motive behind the cartoons," he said.
"When I saw those cartoons, I thought what was wrong with them. I don`t think there is anything wrong with his cartoons."
The MNS chief reiterated that Home Minister R R Patil was incapable of handling his ministry. "R R Patil doesn`t understand the home department. How can he be expected to understand cartoons," he said.
Raj recalled that his uncle, Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray, had given him his first lessons in the art of cartoon-drawing.
Trivedi was arrested on Saturday for cartoons which depict the national emblem and the Parliament in allegedly objectionable manner.
Earlier this evening, Bombay High Court granted him bail, in response to a PIL.
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- Nobody came to help while I screamed, says victim of Bengaluru kidnapping case
- Indian Premier League 2016: List of 11 injured players that have been ruled out of remaining tournament
- Kishore Biyani resigns as Managing Director of Future Retail
- I'm against honouring Malala Yousafzai with Nobel Peace Prize: Spiritual leader Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
- Sebi cancels registration of Deutsche Mutual Fund