Raj Thackeray appears before court, gets warrant cancelled
Mumbai: A local court on Wednesday cancelled the warrant issued against Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) Chief Raj Thackeray after he appeared in a case registered against him for violence during Railway Recruitment Board examinations at a college in suburban Bandra in October 2008.
The warrant was issued on June 10 as Thackeray had failed to appear before the Bandra court. However, he appeared today following which the warrant was cancelled.
In a related development, Thackeray urged for discharge in the case saying that he was not present when the violence broke out in the college during the examination. He also argued that he had no role to play in the violence.
The court has asked the prosecutor to file his say on the discharge application filed by Thackeray on July 1.
The police had in November 2009 filed a charge sheet against the MNS chief and 20 party activists. The charge sheet had mentioned 31 witnesses, of which 14 were Maharashtrians.
According to the statements of witnesses, which are part of the charge sheet filed before the magistrate`s court, MNS activists barged into the college premises, raised slogans, tore question papers and answer sheets and assaulted some candidates.
The MNS had then alleged that the Railways had not informed "locals" about the exams but had placed ads in newspapers in North India.
The accused have been booked under sections 142, 144, 145 (all pertaining to unlawful assembly), 153(A) (promoting enmity between groups), 153(B) (acts prejudicial to national integration), 336 (endangering life or safety), 342 (wrongful confinement), 352 (assault) and 506 (criminal intimidation) of the Indian Penal Code.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared