Raj Thackeray backs Dhoble, warns hawkers over holding morcha
Mumbai: Backing Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) Vasant Dhoble, who was shunted out from his Vakola posting amid protests over the death of a hawker during eviction drive, MNS chief Raj Thackeray on Tuesday warned hawkers against holding a rally at Azad Maidan on January 24.
"If hawkers take out a morcha at Azad Maidan and try to show their power, MNS will show its power on Mumbai`s footpaths," Raj told reporters here this evening.
"Marathi people have the first right on this city," he said.
Opposing Dhoble`s transfer, Raj said it would demoralise the police force. "Who will dare act when there is the fear of transfer," he asked.
"Which policemen would come forward to act against "outsiders" and hawkers," Raj said.
"Deputy chief minister Ajit Pawar says he may not agree with chief minister on Dhoble`s transfer but goes on to add that it is Chavan`s prerogative. Why didn`t Pawar object when the white paper on irrigation was being prepared," Raj said.
On the hawkers`s menace, Raj said, "People are inconvenienced. Entire cities are in a disarray. I appeal to people to stop buying things from these hawkers. If that happens, they will automatically cease to exist."
"There is a conspiracy to bring people, hawkers from outside the state and increase the voting percentage," Raj said. "If two lakh hawkers come to Mumbai from outside, where are you going to make them sit," he added.
Raj accused Congress leader Kripashankar Singh of advocating cause of illegal hawkers.
"I am speaking on behalf of police and municipal officers," Raj said.
Illegal taxis and autorickshaws continue to ply in Mumbai, the MNS leader said.
"I tried many times to convince the government but it does not want to act," he said.
Meanwhile, Raj announced that he would be undertaking a statewide tour from February 10, during which he would hold meetings and address public rallies.
On senior BJP leaders, including party president Nitin Gadkari and Sushma Swaraj, visiting the family of martyr Hemraj Singh in Shernagar, Raj said, "who started the Samjhauta Express? Did anyone ask for it? You (BJP) start buses and when such a thing (beheading of the Indian soldier) happens, you go and condole the family."
"There is no need to have any ties with Pakistanis. If they cut heads of our soldiers, what is the point in keeping relations with them," Raj said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark