Raj Thackeray insulted Ambedkar: alleges Athawale
Mumbai: MNS chief Raj Thackeray has insulted Babasaheb Ambedkar by criticising Dalit leaders from the state for their obsession with Indu Mills land to build an Ambedkar memorial, RPI leader Ramdas Athawale alleged here on Tuesday.
"We strongly condemn Raj Thackeray`s statement ridiculing the demand of Ambedkar followers, for whom the Indu Mills land issue is a matter of self respect," Athawale said.
"He has ridiculed our agitation. We condemn this. He says that we (RPI) did not condemn the violence after the Raza Academy protest. He is lying. We not only condemned the violence, but sought an inquiry to find out if Pakistan had a role in the violence," Athawale said.
The RPI did not hold a morcha as it felt that social harmony should not be disrupted, the former MP said, reacting to Raj Thackeray question about why the RPI was silent after policemen and people were brutally attacked during the protest against ethnic violence in Assam.
Athawale also questioned why Raj Thackeray did not condemn the violence in Lucknow and desecration of Buddha statues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon