Raj Thackeray meets Maha CM, discusses toll issue
Mumbai: Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) President Raj Thackeray on Friday met Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and discussed toll collection issue on which his party has launched an agitation.
Raj met the Chief Minister at the Sahyadri guest house and discussed mainly two issues - bringing transparency in collection of toll (a charge payable to use a road or bridge) and standard of education in Marathi schools, MNS MLA Nitin Sardesai said.
Chavan assured to invite MNS leaders at a meeting to be convened soon by the Public Works Department (PWD) to discuss the toll issue, party sources said.
"Raj Thackeray wanted that MNS leaders should be invited for the meeting with PWD officials, to which Chief Minister responded favourly," they said.
"Chavan agreed to most of the points that we brought to his attention on the toll issue," the sources said.
Last month, Raj had appealed to commuters travelling on the highways and roads in the state not to pay the toll till Government brings in transparency in its collection.
MNS has alleged irregularities in the operation of toll nakas (booths). The party has claimed that toll was being collected at several booths despite the end of recovery period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29