Raj Thackeray meets Maha CM, discusses toll issue
Mumbai: Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) President Raj Thackeray on Friday met Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and discussed toll collection issue on which his party has launched an agitation.
Raj met the Chief Minister at the Sahyadri guest house and discussed mainly two issues - bringing transparency in collection of toll (a charge payable to use a road or bridge) and standard of education in Marathi schools, MNS MLA Nitin Sardesai said.
Chavan assured to invite MNS leaders at a meeting to be convened soon by the Public Works Department (PWD) to discuss the toll issue, party sources said.
"Raj Thackeray wanted that MNS leaders should be invited for the meeting with PWD officials, to which Chief Minister responded favourly," they said.
"Chavan agreed to most of the points that we brought to his attention on the toll issue," the sources said.
Last month, Raj had appealed to commuters travelling on the highways and roads in the state not to pay the toll till Government brings in transparency in its collection.
MNS has alleged irregularities in the operation of toll nakas (booths). The party has claimed that toll was being collected at several booths despite the end of recovery period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31