Raj Thackeray meets Maha CM, discusses toll issue
Mumbai: Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) President Raj Thackeray on Friday met Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and discussed toll collection issue on which his party has launched an agitation.
Raj met the Chief Minister at the Sahyadri guest house and discussed mainly two issues - bringing transparency in collection of toll (a charge payable to use a road or bridge) and standard of education in Marathi schools, MNS MLA Nitin Sardesai said.
Chavan assured to invite MNS leaders at a meeting to be convened soon by the Public Works Department (PWD) to discuss the toll issue, party sources said.
"Raj Thackeray wanted that MNS leaders should be invited for the meeting with PWD officials, to which Chief Minister responded favourly," they said.
"Chavan agreed to most of the points that we brought to his attention on the toll issue," the sources said.
Last month, Raj had appealed to commuters travelling on the highways and roads in the state not to pay the toll till Government brings in transparency in its collection.
MNS has alleged irregularities in the operation of toll nakas (booths). The party has claimed that toll was being collected at several booths despite the end of recovery period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash