Raj Thackeray renews attack on Maha govt
Mumbai: After nearly a fortnight, Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray Sunday renewed his attack on the ruling Congress-Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) alliance.
Addressing a massive rally in Amravati - 690 km from Mumbai - Sunday evening, Thackeray accused government officials of being corrupt, especially those in the irrigation department, controlled by the NCP.
"Five of the key ministries are handled by the NCP: finance, power, irrigation, water and home. What have they done so far," Thackeray said as he completed the third leg of his state-wide tour in Vidarbha.
He quoted official statistics to reveal how irrigation projects were languishing for decades and though there were astronomical escalation costs, the projects remained incomplete even as large parts of the state grappled with the worst ever drought in four decades this year.
Thackeray claimed that within just four months between the 2009 Lok Sabha and Maharashtra Assembly elections, irrigation projects worth several thousands of crore rupees were approved in the state, but nothing has moved after that.
"Ajit Pawar, will you explain where the Rs.70,000 crore has gone," Thackeray demanded from the NCP`s deputy chief minister.
"There are no elections now, yet I appeal to you all to support the MNS. Together we can bring about a change in the state," Thackeray said.
Touching on the recent assault on a policeman inside the legislature premises in Mumbai, Thackeray reiterated that raising hands on a law-enforcer "cannot be forgiven".
"I had said that on the very first day. But, now I am shocked at the kind of politics being played on that issue," he said.
He said he wanted to set up up `goshalas` (cow protection centres) in each district in the state to ensure that the sick and aged cattle were cared for properly and not doomed to a tragic end.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources