`Raj will be responsible if Marathis attacked in north India`
Jalna (Maha): Fearing reprisals against Maharashtrians residing in northern states due to MNS chief Raj Thackeray`s recent comments against Biharis, RPI leader Ramdas Athavale on Monday appealed to Chief Minister Nitish Kumar to protect Marathis in his state.
Athavale, whose party RPI (A) had fought BMC polls, held earlier this year in alliance with Shiv Sena, said dalit workers will take to streets to protect north Indians in Maharashtra and also Hindi news channels which are at the receiving end of Raj`s diatribe.
"Maharashtrians who are living in northern states will be in trouble if Raj continues his tirade against north-Indians. I am afraid that there will be retaliation against Marathis and Raj will be responsible for this. I appeal to Nitish Kumar to protect Maharashtrians living in Bihar," Athavale told reporters here.
Demanding reining in the MNS chief, Athavale said the state government must stop him from making such comments.
"I condemn Raj Thackeray`s comments about Hindi news channels. He has threatened to close down these channels... RPI activists would come out on streets to protect the channels and also north Indians," he said, adding the Constitution guarantees right to its people to live in any part of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter