Rajnath to walk 5 kms to highlight plight of farmers
Beed: BJP president Rajnath Singh will walk five kms as part of a `padyatra` (march) organised by the party to highlight the plight of farmers, specially those producing sugarcane, cotton and soyabean.
Announcing this at a press conference here today, senior BJP leader Gopinath Munde said Singh would participate in the last leg of the 375-km rally, which began from Lodga in Latur district and would culminate at Aurangabad on October7.
Farmers` leader and former BJP legislator Pasha Patel, who is leading the rally, said party leaders Rajiv Pratap Rudy, Devendra Fadnanvis, Vinod Tawde and ex-Gujarat minister Purushottam Rupala were among those who have so far walked along with the rally since it started from Latur earlier this month.
The rally has been organised to draw the government`s attention towards the sharp fall in prices of sugarcane cotton and soyabean, said Patel, national vice president of BJP Kisan Morcha.
Government should impose 90 per cent import duty on edible oil, he said, adding that the restriction on cotton export should be lifted.
Munde, the deputy leader of BJP in Lok Sabha, blamed the UPA government for farmers not getting remunerative prices for their produce.
Munde demanded that the Centre should provide Rs 10,000 crore loan to sugar industry at zero per cent interest like the Atal Bihari Vajpayee-led NDA govt, which provided Rs 6,500 crore at zero per cent interest.
Blaming NCP chief Sharad Pawar for the bad state of sugar industry in the state, Munde said had he taken certain steps to inculcate "discipline" in the industry, the present situation wouldn`t have arisen.
Munde participated in the farmers rally from Kolewadi village in Beed district. He also interacted with villagers, some of whom said there would be a spurt in farmers` suicides if the state and central governments continued with their "regressive" policies for farmers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range