Rajya Sabha polls: Athawale likely to be nominated as Sena-BJP candidate
Mumbai: RPI (A) leader Ramdas Athawale is likely to be nominated as the Sena-BJP candidate for the biennial Rajya Sabha elections scheduled for February 7.
A resolution of recommendation to nominate Athawale to the Rajya Sabha from Maharashtra was unanimously adopted at a meeting of Sena-BJP leaders here today, which will be sent to the BJP central leadership.
Shiv Sena and BJP can get one seat each elected with their strength of 45 and 47 respectively in the legislative assembly. The quota for winning candidate is 36. So far, Shiv Sena`s Rajkumar Dhoot has filed his nomination papers. BJP spokesman Prakash Javadekar is among the seven retiring members.
The meeting of the grand alliance of Shiv Sena, BJP, RPI, Shetkari Sanghatana and Rashtriya Samaj Party leaders was held in the city.
Sena president Uddhav Thackeray, BJP leader Gopinath Munde, Ramdas Athawale, Vinod Tawde, Devendra Fadanvis, Sanjay Raut, Subhash Desai, Ramdas Kadam, Avinash Mahatekar, Tansen Nanavare, Arjun Dangale were present at the meeting.
Raju Shetty and Mahadev Jankar were not present at the meeting, but were contacted on phone to deliberate on the proceedings of the meeting, Sena-BJP sources said.
"RPI will not be just given MLA or MP candidature, but will be sharing power in the state and centre," sources said.
A common minimum programme of the grand alliance was also discussed. Poor population of the state will get a share in wastelands and a strong new legislation will be enacted to prevent atrocities on women, Dalits and tribals, sources said.
The alliance will begin its election campaign from Ichalkaranji on January 30. There are also plans to organise separate rallies of students, women, trade and industry, labour sector. Similarly, a morcha will be organised on February 25 at Azad Maidan in Mumbai to highlight the failures of the state government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble