Rakesh Maria new Police Commissioner of Mumbai
Mumbai: Senior IPS officer Rakesh Maria was appointed as Mumbai Police Commissioner on Saturday, a fortnight after Satyapal Singh quit the post to join politics.
Maria has headed probes into 1993 Mumbai blasts and 26/11 attacks on the city.
The decision to appoint Maria, currently the chief of Maharashtra Police`s Anti-Terrorism squad, was taken after a high-level meeting here chaired by Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and attended by Home Minister R R Patil.
Maria, a 1981 batch IPS officer, headed the probe into the 1993 Mumbai blasts.
He was also in-charge of the investigations into the 26/11 attacks in Mumbai. His appointment comes a fortnight after Satyapal Singh quit as Mumbai Police Commissioner to join BJP.
Singh was the first serving Mumbai Police chief to resign. He was due to retire in 2015.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!