Rakesh Maria new Police Commissioner of Mumbai
Mumbai: Senior IPS officer Rakesh Maria was appointed as Mumbai Police Commissioner on Saturday, a fortnight after Satyapal Singh quit the post to join politics.
Maria has headed probes into 1993 Mumbai blasts and 26/11 attacks on the city.
The decision to appoint Maria, currently the chief of Maharashtra Police`s Anti-Terrorism squad, was taken after a high-level meeting here chaired by Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and attended by Home Minister R R Patil.
Maria, a 1981 batch IPS officer, headed the probe into the 1993 Mumbai blasts.
He was also in-charge of the investigations into the 26/11 attacks in Mumbai. His appointment comes a fortnight after Satyapal Singh quit as Mumbai Police Commissioner to join BJP.
Singh was the first serving Mumbai Police chief to resign. He was due to retire in 2015.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia