Rakhi Sawant to contest from Mumbai North-West
Mumbai: Bollywood starlet Rakhi Sawant Wednesday said she is going to contest the Lok Sabha election from the Mumbai North-West constituency on the plank of restoring women`s safety in the metropolis.
Rakhi`s rivals would be Congress`s Gurudas Kamat, Shiv Sena`s Gajanan Kirtikar, actor-director Mahesh Manjrekar of MNS, and Mayank Gandhi of AAP.
When asked if she would be standing as an independent, she said a political party had offered her a ticket, and she would soon reveal its name.
"I don`t know how to play politics. I am here to solve the problems of common man. My aim is to do good work for the society. I am not striving to become a politician. People want me to fight the election and hence I am here," the feisty item-girl told PTI.
"I have been doing a lot of social work for the last seven years. My aim is to bring back women`s safety. I don`t want Mumbai to become like Delhi. I want to arrange self-defence and karate classes for women so that they can protect themselves," she said.
Rakhi had been offered a BJP ticket from Srirampur in West Bengal, but she said she declined it as she didn`t know the local language.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Peter Mukerjea knew Sheena was Indrani's daughter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sheena Bora and Mikhail had different fathers?