Rakhi Sawant to contest from Mumbai North-West
Mumbai: Bollywood starlet Rakhi Sawant Wednesday said she is going to contest the Lok Sabha election from the Mumbai North-West constituency on the plank of restoring women`s safety in the metropolis.
Rakhi`s rivals would be Congress`s Gurudas Kamat, Shiv Sena`s Gajanan Kirtikar, actor-director Mahesh Manjrekar of MNS, and Mayank Gandhi of AAP.
When asked if she would be standing as an independent, she said a political party had offered her a ticket, and she would soon reveal its name.
"I don`t know how to play politics. I am here to solve the problems of common man. My aim is to do good work for the society. I am not striving to become a politician. People want me to fight the election and hence I am here," the feisty item-girl told PTI.
"I have been doing a lot of social work for the last seven years. My aim is to bring back women`s safety. I don`t want Mumbai to become like Delhi. I want to arrange self-defence and karate classes for women so that they can protect themselves," she said.
Rakhi had been offered a BJP ticket from Srirampur in West Bengal, but she said she declined it as she didn`t know the local language.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- Punjab woman 'gangraped first, killed, and then thrown from roof'
- IPL 2016: Mumbai Indians sign Jerome Taylor as injured Lasith Malinga's replacement
- AugustaWestland chopper deal: It's political conspiracy to cover up criminal negligence in pursuing CBI inquiry, says AK Antony
- Tiger Shroff regrets making housewife comment?
- Britain would be less well off after Brexit: OECD