Ralegan-Siddhi exalted as Anna ends fast
Mumbai/Ralegan Siddhi: There was a carnival like atmosphere in Ralegan Siddhi, the native village of Anna Hazare, and other parts of Maharashtra as the anti-corruption crusader broke his 12-day fast.
The villagers, who supported Hazare through various forms of non-violent protests, including a `no bath day`, sang and danced when the 74-year-old drank the coconut water and honey mixture at New Delhi`s Ramilia Maidan.
"Over 2,000 residents of the village gathered at Sant Yadavbaba temple and prayed for Annaji`s long life and thanked him for taking forward the cause of common man," said legislator Vijay Avti.
"Annaji is a national hero. He has shown everyone that much can still be achieved by a hunger strike and a peaceful agitation," he added.
With Kailesh Kher`s catchy Anna number "Ambar tak yahi naad gunje ga" blasting from loudspeakers, the villagers danced with zeal and enthusiasm.
Meanwhile, at Mumbai`s Azad Maidan, thousands gathered to celebrate Hazare`s victory.
People wearing "I am Anna" caps raised slogans like "Mai bhi Anna" and "Annaji ki jai ho" while many broke into spontaneous jigs.
"It is the victory of people`s power, the democracy. Half the battle has been won and we are geared up to fight for the rest," said a student.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray