Rally held for speedy bifurcation of Thane distric
Thane: An all party rally was organised by the Palghar Zila Mukhyalaya Samiti to press for the demand of bifurcation of Thane district by January 26 this year.
A memorandum demanding declaration of Palghar district with Palghar as district headquarters by January 26 addressed to the Maharashtra Chief Minister was handed over to Palghar tehsildar Surendra Navle by all party leaders in the presence of state Minister for Tribal Development Rajendra Gavit yesterday.
The government has reportedly preferred Palghar as the new district headquarters for the second district after bifurcation of Thane.
The samiti demanded that the tribal pocket comprising one-third of the district`s population be separated from the existing Thane district.
Following this, the Thane district may be further divided without any delay as several of its pockets have been marred by underinvestment of public funds, low industrial progress and agriculture productivity since a long time.
The rally was represented by local leaders from various parties including Congress, NCP, BJP, Shiv Sena, MNS, RPI and Janta Dal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed