Rally held for speedy bifurcation of Thane distric
Thane: An all party rally was organised by the Palghar Zila Mukhyalaya Samiti to press for the demand of bifurcation of Thane district by January 26 this year.
A memorandum demanding declaration of Palghar district with Palghar as district headquarters by January 26 addressed to the Maharashtra Chief Minister was handed over to Palghar tehsildar Surendra Navle by all party leaders in the presence of state Minister for Tribal Development Rajendra Gavit yesterday.
The government has reportedly preferred Palghar as the new district headquarters for the second district after bifurcation of Thane.
The samiti demanded that the tribal pocket comprising one-third of the district`s population be separated from the existing Thane district.
Following this, the Thane district may be further divided without any delay as several of its pockets have been marred by underinvestment of public funds, low industrial progress and agriculture productivity since a long time.
The rally was represented by local leaders from various parties including Congress, NCP, BJP, Shiv Sena, MNS, RPI and Janta Dal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof