Ramdas Athawale visits landslide hit Malin
Mumbai: Republican Party of India (RPI) chief Ramdas Athawale on Friday visited Malin village in the Pune district where landslide struck on Wednesday morning, and said he would donate his one month`s salary as Rajya Sabha member to the Chief Minister`s relief fund.
"This unfortunate incident has claimed the lives of so many innocent and unsuspecting people while they were asleep. My heart goes out to the families of the deceased. I will contribute one month`s salary as Rajya Sabha MP for the rehabilitation of the victims," he said, talking to reporters.
A visit to the medical centre to meet the injured left him "deeply pained", he said.
"The first priority of the government and the rescue teams is to fish out the bodies that are still buried under the debris. But once that is over, the government should make rehabilitation of the victims its priority," he said.
The state government should take necessary steps to ensure that other villages located on foothills are well protected against such calamities in the future.
According to latest information, the death toll in the tragedy has reached 63, even as NDRF personnel are looking for survivors under the mud and debris.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'