‘Rane had sought status report of Adarsh plot’
Mumbai: Maharashtra Industries Minister
Narayan Rane, during his tenure as the chief minister in
September 1999, had sought a speedy inquiry and submission of
a report into ownership and other details of the land where
the controversial Adarsh Housing Society stands, a senior
revenue official on Monday told a judicial panel.
Jagdish Gharat, deputy secretary of state Revenue and
Forest department, while deposing before the two-member
inquiry Commission, said the chief promoter of Adarsh society
had on September 21, 1999 sent a letter to Rane seeking
allotment of land.
"The then chief minister had referred the letter to
the Revenue and Forests department with an endorsement made in
hand writing saying `submit report immediately`. The
endorsement was made by Narayan Rane who was the CM then," he
Gharat added that the letter was sent by the revenue
and forest department to the city collector, but no report was
Collector Chandrashekhar Oak while deposing earlier
before the Commission had said that former chief minister
Vilasrao Deshmukh, during his tenure in 2000, had shown
"unusual interest" in seeking information on the status of the
land in south Mumbai where the 31-storey building stands.
Deshmukh too while seeking information about the
ownership of the land endorsed the file as "urgent/important"
which according to Oak was an uncommon practice.
The CBI on Sunday examined Union Power Minister and
former chief minister Sushil Kumar Shinde during whose tenure
several clearances were given to the Society.
In January this year, the CBI had registered a case
against 14 persons, including Ashok Chavan and some retired
army officers and government officials, on charges of criminal
conspiracy, fraud and misuse of official power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!